This competition is simple in principle but difficult in practice, either
way it’s fun! The objective is to fly over the patch at the appropriate altitude
in an attempt to burst helium filled balloons that are randomly spaced and
anchored to the ground by cotton tethers approximately 10 foot in length.
Bursting the balloons, or releasing them by cutting their tether, will both
score points, (see rules below for scoring). If you are good enough, any “loose
balloons” i.e. ones that have had their tethers cut, can be burst whilst they
- Any propeller driven fixed wing model may enter,
- All models will be scrutinised by the Competition
Director ("CD"). No special or unsafe modifications are allowed.
- The object of the competition is to burst balloons
and/or cut the cotton balloon tether.
- Several helium filled balloons are fixed to
cotton lines and attached by small skewers to the patch.
- Each pilot is permitted one helper.
- Pilots must stand on a small mat placed by the
CD at the side of the patch and no movement from this mat is allowed.
- All flying will be carried out in front of the
pilot in accordance with normal club rules regarding "dead" airspace.
- Pilots will fly individual slots of up to four
minutes depending on the number of entries. Two rounds will normally be flown.
- Timing starts on the CD's whistle the moment
the model leaves the ground or hand in the case of a hand launch. No crafty
taxiing amongst the balloons is allowed. Restarts are permitted provided the
model is still safe to fly.
a. Each cotton tether cut scores 5 points.
b. Each Balloon Burst scores 50 points.
c. Anyone who bursts an ascending balloon (cut free or otherwise airborne)
will score 500 points.
- The competition will start promptly on the arranged
date and time.
- All club rules and attention to safety will
- At all times the CD’s decision will be final.